- £1435 per week
- £205 per night
- 12 Guests
- 5 Bedrooms
- 5 Bathrooms
- 2 Pets
Beds & bedrooms
- Bed linen provided
- 2 king/super-king beds
- 6 single beds
- Bunk bed to sleep 1
- 5 bathrooms
- 5 WCs
- Towels provided
- En-suite bathroom
- Open fire or woodburner
- Games room
- Hot tub
- Swimming pool
- Sea or coastal views
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- Travel cot
- Enclosed garden
- Outdoor storage
- Private parking
- Pony trekking/horse riding
- Ground floor bedroom
Situated on a small rise overlooking the Suffolk coast and the sea at Shingle Street, The Owls at Oxley are midway between the popular coastal towns of Woodbridge and Orford. Previously an old farm barn, The Owls have been converted into two semi detached properties (Barn Owl & Little Owl), that are linked through the gardens, with all the mod cons for a stress free holiday at any time of the year. A new addition is a Drover's Hut called The Owl Box so that the total party number is up to 12. With a communal dining area and games barn available as well as coastal walks on your doorstep, there is plenty to do for all ages.
ALDEBURGH 17.6 miles (28 km), ORFORD 11 miles (18.2 km), WOODBRIDGE 9 miles (14.5 km)
About the Property: Having been completely converted recently, The Owls have been designed with the holidaymaker's needs and wishes in mind. Aligned to capture the very best of the stunning views of the sea and the Ore estuary you could not find a more idyllic location. Suiting all ages, The Owls provides the perfect place for bird watching, stargazing, kite surfing, fishing or sailing! Storage for equipment has been thoroughly thought out, with plenty of space in both the lobby and outdoor barn for anything from pushchairs to bikes, sailing equipment to surfboards. For those not feeling as energetic, simply watch the sunset from the large glass doors as you enjoy a quiet evening by the fire.
The Owls are ideal for those who may struggle with a whole staircase as Barn Owl also has the advantage of a ground floor bedroom. Both barns have an open plan layout, with a separate raised sleeping area. Large family parties will love the addition of the outdoor communal dining barn, complete with games room containing a table tennis and table football set.
Hot tub hire is available by prior arrangement with the owner via a third party. Please enquire at the time of booking and please note that extra charges will apply.
Newly converted is a Drover's Hut called The Owl Box. The Owl Box, with gently ramped access, is nestled amongst the trees in the garden of Little Owl. This single level hut built on a sturdy trailer base provides modern over-spill accommodation for studying teens or adults. Comprising of a living/sleeping area and shower room, The Owl Box has a separate access yet glimpses of it can still be seen from over the hedging from the decking outside Little Owl. Use of The Owl Box is included in the rental price.
Outside: Large glass doors to the rear of both barns open out onto separate decks with steps down onto private grass areas. The views are breathtaking; stand and look out along the coast to Orford and the entrance to the river Alde. A superb coastal spot. To the bottom of the garden is a gated paddock with large pond, used as a grazing meadow for ponies.
From May to October, an outdoor plunge pool that is circular and measuring 1.3 metres deep, can be accessed by an enclosed decked area with steps leading down into the pool. Heated for the summer months, by solar power, it is perfect for a relaxing dip.
Step outside and walk less than 10 minutes to the beach at Shingle Street. Lined with just a dozen cottages, a Napoleonic Martello Tower and a former coastguard station, it really does feel like a secret escape, despite being less than 100 miles from London. A popular area for kite surfers, fishermen and walkers, take your camera and photograph some of the beautiful wildlife including ground nesting birds and seals who bask on the far side of the estuary entrance particularly in late summer and winter.
Exploring: To really explore the area take a walk and pass the houses at Shingle Street to find the road ending at the edge of the beach with a small parking area. Beyond the road is a series of paths worth exploring, one of which takes one down the coast to Bawdsey and the foot ferry connection to Felixstowe Ferry. At the other end of Shingle Street the footpath leads in the direction of Orford, this time following the river bank of the Alde and Ore past Boyton and Chillesford, some wonderful saltings on the way. If you want to cut the corner you can take the Butley to Orford foot ferry (it's a rowing boat) which takes walkers and cyclists across the Butley River to Gedgrave from there you can walk to Orford.The road itself meanders inland to Hollesley where there is a good local shop, garage and pub The Shepherd and Dog (1.5 miles).
Eating Out: The nearest pub is The Shepherd and Dog in Hollesley, a good selection of straight forward pub food with a take away option as well as the usual beers, wines etc. The Swan in Alderton is around 2.5 miles away and serves lovely posh nosh. The Sorrell Horse Inn is a delightful pub, just 15 minutes drive away in the pretty village of Shottisham, a traditional Suffolk pub, serving real cask ales, simple fresh food and a very warm welcome (wi-fi available).
The market town of Woodbridge has an abundance of pubs and restaurants to suit all tastes and is only 20 minutes by car. The Anchor has an interesting menu and usually includes an excellent authentic Malaysian dish. There are also two fine Indian restaurants, The Shapla and The Royal Bengal, Prezzo, and a popular Chinese restaurant all within easy walking distance of the Quay Point car park.
Self Catering: Grocery deliveries are available from the major supermarkets and there is a good village shop in Hollesley with all essential provisions including locally grown local fruit and veg along with a Post Office. There is also a good village shop in Alderton, a five minute drive away. There are plenty of farm shops selling locally sourced produce, scattered across the Suffolk countryside, Five Winds Butchers at Melton is excellent, supplied from a local farm, and Woodbridge has a high street supermarket as well as independent grocery stores and award winning bakers.
For lots of information on the area please look at our own online guides Visit Woodbridge and Visit Orford. Recently published is Life on the Edge: A Brief History of Shingle Street by Tim Miller. You can find out more about this publication here.
*Click here to see the stages of The Owls at Oxley construction on our Plans to Property Pinterest board*
- Two steps lead to the front door which leads into a spacious hall with plenty of hooks for coats, box seat with storage for outdoor wear, space for shoes and boots, pushchairs and golf clubs. A door leads to
- The living room with fully fitted well equipped, open plan kitchen with dishwasher, fridge and freezer, electric hob and separate oven, plenty of cupboard space, kettle, 4 slice toaster, microwave, decorative plate rack and display cabinets. The dining area includes a dining table and six chairs. The sitting room has both a 3 seater sofa and 2 seater sofa, coffee table, flat screen HD TV and log burning stove. Large french doors open out to a garden area.
- Small twin bedroom with full sized single bed and pull out single bed, bedside table and lamp, small wardrobe with hangers and drawers and desk with chest of drawers. Black out blinds are fitted at the window for light sleepers.
- Three steps lead up to a further carpeted hall from which you access further bedrooms and the family bathroom
- Family bathroom with slate effect floor, bath with overhead shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail.
- Twin bedroom with two full sized single beds, bedside chest of drawers with lamp, dressing table with mirror and drawers, coat stand with hangers, window dressing includes black out blinds
- The master bedroom has a king sized double bed, bedside tables and lamps, dressing table with drawers, large walk in cupboard. The en suite shower room includes a large shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail. There is a hairdryer.
- Two steps lead to the front door which leads into a spacious hall with plenty of hooks for coats, box seat with storage for outdoor wear, space for shoes and boots, pushchairs and golf clubs. Another step up and door leads to
- An open plan living room with fully fitted well equipped kitchen, with dishwasher, full height fridge-freezer, electric hob and separate oven, plenty of cupboard space, kettle, toaster, microwave, and display cabinets. The dining area includes a dining table and chairs for 4. The sitting room has two 2 seater sofas, coffee table, flat screen HD TV and log burning stove. The room is adorned by artwork by local photographer, Catherine Lindsay-Davies. Large french doors open out to a garden area.
- Three steps lead up to a further carpeted hall from which you access the bedrooms and the family bathroom
- Twin bedroom with two full sized single beds, a large mirror, a desk, drawers, a clothes hanger, and bedside table with lamp.
- Family bathroom with bath with overhead shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail.
- The master bedroom has a king sized double bed, desk, built in wardrobe and large mirror, with an en suite shower room. En suite includes a large shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail.
The Owl Box (sleeps 2)
- Gently ramped access via a wooden path leads from the edge of Little Owl's garden (by a gate) to The Owl Box. A small verandah looks towards Little Owl and Barn Owl and out towards the marshes. French doors open onto the living area with wicker 2 seat sofa, desk and chair, camping microwave, camping kettle and camping fridge. There is also a raised single bed and cabin bed.
- Shower Room with w.c., basin and walk-in shower unit.
- The Owl Box is heated by plug-in electric heating.
- There is a large outside area to the seaward side of the barns, reached via French doors from the sitting room in both properties, with table and chairs, parasol etc. Steps lead down to a small area of garden with grass and some planting where there is a bbq and further west facing seating area for evening dining. There is a connecting gate between both gardens. A gate leads from the garden to a lovely avenue of trees which then leads to a field with grazing and large pond. Ponies occupy the meadows in front of this, beyond lies the beach and the sea.
- One of the old farm barns has been converted into a laundry room where there are two washing machines, a tumble dryer, and a double stainless steel sink. There is plenty of storage space here for bikes whilst large lockable storage boxes have been built where you can store sailing, kiting, riding and fishing equipment.
- There is off road parking for at least 4 cars. Further space can be made available on request for dinghies, RIBs or horse boxes.
- Children will love seeing the horses and sheep on site. Oxley Dairy is a working farm, sadly now without a dairy.
- A covered games barn with lots of activities, including table tennis, table football and a small pool table is available. This barn also contains a communal dining area with seating for 10 (please note that food must be cooked in the Owls i.e. Kitchen or BBQ).
- Outdoor plunge pool facing the sea. Circular and measuring 1.3 metres deep, the pool will be heated for summer use. Surrounded by decking and with steps down into the pool. Perfect for cooling off on long summer days. Hot tub hire is available by prior arrangement with the owner via a third party. Please enquire at the time of booking and please note that extra charges will apply.
- Please note that there are a couple of Barn Cats at Oxley Dairy, please watch that they do not get into the properties and do not allow children to stroke. Thank you.
- There is underfloor heating throughout both barns. A basket of logs and kindling are provided for the log burning stove. Fuel for the barbecue is also provided, but guests are encouraged to bring their own charcoal as an addition.
- Bed linen and towels for the barn are provided. Please bring your own swimming, dog and hot tub towels.
- In consideration of other visitors please do not smoke in the barns or close to the buildings.
- Unlimited wi fi provided. Please note internet speeds in Suffolk can be slow and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for downloading films or games etc
- All properties are completely private and are separate from the farm house and working farm.
- There is an iron, ironing board and clothes airer, as well as two washing machines and a tumble dryer.
Wonderful location, good accommodation and very welcoming, on-site owners.