- £481 per week
- £69 per night
- 2 Guests
- 1 Bedroom
- 1 Bathroom
- 1 Pet
- Open fire or woodburner
Beds & bedrooms
- Bed linen provided
- 1 king/super-king bed
- Washing machine
- 1 bathroom
- 1 WC
- Towels provided
- En-suite bathroom
- Enclosed garden
- Private parking
- On one level, no stairs
- Ground floor bedroom
- Ground floor bath/shower room
Looking to re-charge your batteries? Kakapo Lodge is the cottage for you! Situated on the outskirts of Snape and surrounded by fields, the Lodge truly is in the heart of the countryside. Wake up to hear the birds singing and enjoy a morning coffee on the veranda, overlooking the scenery. This open-plan, modern, yet homely, retreat for two is perfect year round - a must for birdwatchers and those attending the Aldeburgh Festival at the nearby Snape Maltings.
ALDEBURGH 6 miles, ORFORD 7.5 miles, SOUTHWOLD 18 miles, DUNWICH 17 miles WOODBRIDGE 11 miles
About the Property: Kakapo Lodge (taking its name from a New Zealand, flightless parrot) is a converted outbuilding designed to create a light, modern and homely open-plan living space for couples or friends. With views over the surrounding fields, you really do feel tucked away here. Perfect for holidaymakers year round, the living area comprises of a cosy sitting room with log burning stove as well as a stylish fully fitted kitchen and dining area. The Bedroom leads off from the living area, complete with zip and link bed, making it perfect for couples or friends. With all accommodation on the ground floor, this is the ideal place for those who may find stairs difficult.
Also available is Tui Cottage, Snape. Kakapo Lodge is the larger of the two properties. For two couples, Kakapo Lodge and Tui Cottage can be rented together to sleep 4.
Parking: Off road parking with space for one car with a gate and path to the garden of Kakapo Lodge.
Sleeps: 2 in 1 king or twin beds. Please specify at time of booking.
Setting: Situated just under a two minute drive from Snape you are just a short distance from the village shop, three fine pubs and of course, the famous Snape Maltings Concert Hall. In fact, keen walkers will enjoy the footpath from outside Kakapo Lodge that leads right down to the village - perfect for those who wish to have a break from driving.
This property is ideal for: Those who enjoy walking, cycling, music and art, fine dining or just relaxing. Snape Maltings Concert Hall has an all year round program of music and dance in every genre. This is also a great place to start a walk, either your own itinerary or one of the guided tours from Snape Maltings to explore the wildlife and historic landscape of the Alde valley. There are also boat trips down the river Alde to Iken church, an area naturally rich in wildlife and a haven for wildfowl.
Suffolk is not completely flat, as anyone who has cycled here will confirm, but the quiet country lanes and pathways provide a picturesque ride with some great pubs and tearooms to punctuate your journey.
Snape, Woodbridge and particularly Aldeburgh are rich in art galleries for viewing, collecting or inspiration and you will find a great art shop in Woodbridge that is an Aladdin's cave of art materials for creating your own landscape masterpiece.
Eating and Drinking: With three local pubs, all of which offer food from fish and chips to gourmet cuisine at The Plough & Sail, you can dine out without having to travel far. Just a 10 minute drive away, Aldeburgh too has some great restaurants; The Regatta and The Lighthouse are both very popular and there is also a good choice of shops selling excellent local produce. The historic fishing town of Orford is situated on the rivers Alde and Ore and well worth a visit for lunch, supper or just to explore. Pinney's of Orford have grown oysters at Butley Creek since the 1950s and their smoke house supplies mouth-watering freshly smoked fish every day. The Crown & Castle, Orford, co-owned by Ruth Watson of TV's The Hotel Inspector fame, offers a wonderful menu, fine wine and enjoys great reviews.
Self Catering: There are several good farm shops nearby; Friday Street Farm shop on the A1094 just before you get to the A12 and The Farm Cafe at Marlesford. There is also a great deli and tea room at Snape Maltings, and you can buy groceries and newspapers at the village stores.
For more information on places to eat and things to do in the area, please take a look at Visit Snape.
All accommodation is on the Ground Floor
- Entrance to the cottage is via the sliding French doors which open out into the large and light open plan living area.
- Seating area with log burning stove (logs provided), sofa and footstool, side chest, flatscreen TV showing Freesat, side cabinet and floor lamp. Views of the fields beyond.
- Kitchen area with fully fitted cupboards, 4 ring electric hob and oven, fridge, dishwasher, washing machine, microwave, cafetiere, kettle, toaster, iron & ironing board and adequate storage space. Views of the fields beyond.
- Dining Area with floor lamp, wooden table, two chairs and bench seat seating a total of four.
- A door leads to the Bedroom
- Bedroom with Twin Beds which can be zipped to make a King if requested at the time of booking. Chest of drawers, mirror, side cabinets, lamps, french hooks. A door leads to the En suite.
- En suite bathroom with wc, hand basin, heated towel rail, shower cubicle (small step up), wall mounted bathroom cupboard.
- Fully fenced garden with decked area with table and chairs for four. Grassed area perfect for dogs to run around on.
- Kakapo Cottage also has a covered outside porch with a bench, perfect for summer evenings spent watching the sunset over the surrounding fields.
- Off road parking for one car. Automatic lights switch on and light a path leading to the cottage.
- Kakapo Lodge is on the same site as a working family home, however, access and parking is totally separate, private and detached.
- Logs are provided for the log burning stove.
- Bed linen and towels are included but please bring your own beach towels, dog towels and bedding for the cot, if required.
- In consideration of other guests, please do not smoke in the property.
- Wifi is provided.
We could not fault anything about the property, absolutely perfect.
A beautiful property, the owner Jess is approachable and friendly but was also very respectful of my privacy. It was obvious from the second I walked into the garden and towards the lodge that guests comfort was paramount. I can’t find fault with anything, the main thing I loved was the covered veranda it caught the afternoon sun and was a great place to read and relax.
Super accommodation & location. Hosts Jess & Craig were excellent. Wonderful holiday.
A lovely, well thought out, well presented property
The owners were very nice and made us very welcome and the property was perfect for us to enjoy a great week. Great service , great accommodation and a great holiday
The property was excellent run by very friendly and welcoming people. An excellent stay.
A spotlesly clean and well appointed lodge, set in such tranquil and beautiful surroundings. The owners were lovely, making sure we were settled, but otherwise leaving us to our break. Have already recommended to our friends and family.
Our hosts were very hospitable and kind. The property was light and airy and of a very good standard and in a beautiful, peaceful, private position.