- £496 per week
- £71 per night
- 2 Guests
- 1 Bedroom
- 1 Bathroom
- No Pets
Beds & bedrooms
- Bed linen provided
- 1 king/super-king bed
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- 1 bathroom
- Towels provided
- En-suite bathroom
- Travel cot
- Private parking
DescriptionIn the heart of the countryside just a couple of miles from the sea, this superb, newly converted barn with outside terrace and first floor balcony is surrounded by 3,000 acres of ancient heathland, conservation farmland, woods and meadows. The perfect combination of coast and countryside, Sewell Barn is perfect for a romantic retreat or a relaxing break for one.
WOODBRIDGE 7 miles (11 km), ORFORD 12 miles (19 km), ALDEBURGH 23 miles (37 km)
Style: A traditional Suffolk barn, totally refurbished in 2010 to create a really spacious and upmarket holiday cottage.
Setting: In the midst of the Broxtead Estate, Sutton, Suffolk, United Kingdom.
Grounds: Sewell Barn and its neighbours, Vancouver Barn and Brand Barn, are surrounded by a communal lawned area. Beyond this is an area of grassland with woodland and a number of open Suffolk barns; enjoy access to a table tennis area as well as plenty of space for storing bikes, dinghy etc. And now for the wow factor - Sewell Barn is set amidst 3,000 acres of meadows, forests and ancient heathland.
Rarely visited by the public, you can ramble to your heart's content. Much of the estate (around 2,000 acres) is managed for the rare heathland flora and fauna, and the Suffolk Wildlife Trust has reintroduced sheep to the heathland to maintain the perfect breeding ground for rare birds such as nightjar and woodlark. Here you might see the silver studded blue butterfly, and hear, if not see, the nightingales singing to their mates in the stillness of a spring night. A rare and fascinating landscape for birdwatchers and naturalists, it is a great area for walking. Just a couple of miles from the Deben estuary and Sutton Hoo, the coast is also close by.
Sleeps: 2 (and a baby).
Ideal for: Those who want to explore a rare and wonderful landscape, walkers, cyclists, horse riders and anyone wishing to learn the art of carriage driving.
Nearby: National Trust properties include Sutton Hoo, Orford Nessand Dunwich Heath. Close to the sea, you can enjoy boat rides, swimming and sailing. You can drive to the ancient market town of Woodbridge in around 12 minutes. On the Deben River both the waterside area and the town are fascinating places to visit.
Eating and Drinking: The nearest pub is The Sorrel House in Shottisham (around a 15 minute walk). Woodbridge has a fantastic selection of coffee shops, restaurants and pubs including The Crown, The Riverside, The Galley, The Table and The East Coast Diner - all are very good. There are some great pubs, many of which sell the local Adnams beer. Many of the shops sell excellent seasonal local produce and of course the fish is fresh (you are just a couple of miles from the sea, after all!).
For much more information on the area, please see our comprehensive guide to the area, Visit Woodbridge.
Packing tips: Beachwear and Wellington boots, walking shoes and binoculars, cycle wear and riding hat. Don't forget the bikes!
- A stable door opens into the living area. The ground floor is open plan and extremely spacious for 2 people
- The sitting room area has a sofa, arm chairs, occasional tables, lamps and unit with flat screen TV, DVD and freeview & Radio. French doors from the sitting room lead out to a patio with table & two chairs
- The dining area has a dining table and four chairs and side table
- The kitchen is fully fitted with built in fridge with freezer compartment, washing machine/tumble dryer, dishwasher, electric hob and built in oven.
- The ground floor is heated by underfloor central heating
- The entire first floor is made over to the bedroom and bathroom.
- The double bedroom has a king sized double bed, bedside cabinets with lamps, a large wardrobe and dressing table, a chest of drawers and two Lloyd Loom chairs.
- A door from the bedroom leads out to a small balcony.
- The en-suite bathroom has a roll top bath with hand held shower, wash basin with Shaver point, w.c. and heated towel rail
- French doors from the sitting room lead out to a terrace with table and chairs. Beyond this is a large area of lawn extending round the three barns which make up Vale Farm Barns
- Beyond the garden is a wooded area and 3,000 acres of heathland, meadows and arable farm - with numerous walks and bridle paths.
- There is a large gravelled parking area close to the barn
- Bicycles can be stored in the open cart lodge close to the barn
- The cottage has central heating throughout, underfloor heating on the ground floor and radiators on the first floor
- Bed linen and towels are provided. Please bring your own beach towels. If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- In consideration of other visitors, please do not smoke in the barn
- Wifi is provided.
- Nearest Pub -The Sorrell Horse, Shottisham Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property