- £521 per week
- £74 per night
- 2 Guests
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- No Pets
- Open fire or woodburner
Beds & bedrooms
- Bed linen provided
- 1 king/super-king bed
- 1 double bed
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- 1 bathroom
- Towels provided
- Ground floor bath/shower room
Coastal self catering cottage in Suffolk. A charming, early Victorian, Grade 2 listed cottage on a peaceful road between Orford's Market Hill and the quay. The cottage has undergone a stunning renovation to create the perfect hideaway for just a couple or two singles seeking excellent accommodation, fine dining and wonderful coastal walks.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9km) ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17km) WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19km) SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42km) FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22km)
About the Property: The owners have transformed this attractive Grade 2 listed property into a top quality holiday cottage, achieving their aim to create a quiet, relaxing and romantic bolt hole where a couple or two singles might enjoy all the comforts of a luxury hotel with the freedom, privacy and space of a self catering cottage. Every item, every paint colour has been chosen with calming charm and comfort in mind. At Daphne Cottage you can be sure of loads of space in which to relax and enjoy the delights of Orford.
Grounds: Make the most of the sunshine. At the front of the cottage is a tiny cottage garden with Chelsea wrought iron garden bench, at the rear a sweet little decked patio with pots, table and chairs. There is even a wall anchor to secure your bikes.
Parking: There is parking in the road
Sleeps: 2 adults. The south east facing bedroom has a lovely king sized antique brass bedstead. A second bedroom, with double bed and brass bedstead, makes the cottage equally suitable for restless sleepers or two friends. Sadly no babies or children permitted at this cottage.
Ideal for: Writers, composers, artists and couples looking for a really comfortable and hassle free break where you can be confident that fine food and wine can be sourced within walking distance, and that any stroll around the village will offer a site of historic or cultural delight.
Orford has something for everyone; sailors, walkers, fishermen, cyclists, bird watchers, music and art lovers, those with an interest in history, fine food, and a penchant for beautiful surroundings. The church hosts many excellent concerts and Snape Maltings, home of Aldeburgh Music, is just a 15 minute drive from the cottage.
Minimum Hire: Two nights; except in high season when it is a week. Changeover is usually a Friday but is flexible outside High Seasons.
Self catering eating: The village shop, Orford General Stores is a gem - it has a post office and a cash point as well as loads of local produce. For the best bread, pastries and light lunches, do visit The Pump Street Bakery. There are two smokeries. Smoked fish, ham hocks and cheese can all be purchased in Orford at The Butley Orford Oysterage.
Eating out: If you fancy dining out then a visit to The Trinity Restaurant at the Crown & Castle, Orford, is a treat. Fish lovers will adore The Butley & Orford Oysterage and of course there are two excellent pubs in the village, The Kings Head and The Jolly Sailor, which both serve excellent meals. Feel free to enjoy an Adnams beer or fine wine alongside your Orford cuisine; all pubs are within a few minutes' walk of the cottage.
Orford is a delightful coastal village, with a fascinating 12th century castle keep once a major pillar in the defence of the English coast. Across the estuary (just a 5 minute boat ride away) is Orford Ness (an area of historic and environmental fascination run by the National Trust). There are spectacular views from the quay along the coast to Aldeburgh to the north and Havergate Island (a RSPB bird sanctuary) to the south.
Entertainment: Large HD TV, DVD player and iPod dock. There is a collection of DVDs for you to enjoy, as well as some excellent Suffolk guides and novels.
Packing tips: Wellingtons and walking boots will be very useful so you can have a good old stomp along the coast without ruining your best shoes! Do bring your own beach towels. With so many quiet country lanes bikes would be a bonus.
- The sitting room is equipped with a log burning stove, sofa and easy chair, coffee table, large HD TV with DVD and freeview, iPod dock, games and books
- The kitchen has a dining table and chairs, the kitchen units are fully fitted and include built in dishwasher, washing machine / tumble dryer, fridge with freezer compartment, electric oven and induction hob. There is a cafetiere , Dualit toaster and kettle and microwave as well as loads of china, glasses, cutlery etc. and laundry airer. The kitchen has oak flooring and underfloor heating
- Bathroom with bath and overhead shower, heated towel rail, washing basin and w.c., underfloor heating
- Bedroom 1: An antique brass king sized bed, bedside cabinets and lamps, hanging hooks and large chest of drawers
- Bedroom 2 An antique double bed with bedside table and lamp, wall hooks and hangers
- To the front of the cottage is a tiny gated cottage garden area with Chelsea wrought iron bench
- To the rear is a small gated decked patio garden with pots and table and chairs, wall mounted bike stand to secure your bikes
- There is a further communal grassed garden which is shared by the immediate neighbours
- Heating is by electric radiators, underfloor heating in the kitchen and bathroom and log burning stove in the sitting room
- Bed linen and towels are provided, please bring your own beach towels
- Guests are asked to consider neighbours and other holidaymakers and not smoke in the property
- A limited broadband / wi fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
- Please note this property is not suitable for children or babies
- The Kings Head, Orford - tel. 01394 450271
- The Jolly Sailor, Orford - tel. 01396 450243. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
- Wood for wood burning stove; full basket of logs and kindling provided. Extra available at £5 a bag.
This was a beautiful and stylish cottage. The local area was delightful and unspoiled with exceptional restaurants and local produce.
The cottage and region were a delight.